Now I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that we don't have any other songs that feature the cowbell. I would be doing myself and this band a disservice if I didn't perform the hell out of this thing.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

my blog has been neglected

I completely forgot I had a blog that I created back in my beginning days in DC. I guess you could say I have been too busy actually living life instead of being in cyberspace to really care. (no offense for you obsessed bloggers out there)

I am not even going to attempt to sum up these last two years. However, I will give you a list of random things I learned being young in a big city. (in no particular order of importance)

1) Don't be surprised if a guy wearing a "Only pirates get real booty" t-shirt comes up and physically spanks you on the dance floor without warning. Normally, you should be offended, but in this instance, you are almost even asking for it to be in his vicinity. ARRRRRRR

2) Alcohol mixed with young and single co-workers is never a good combination. Welcome to the place where I work which will remain annonymous--the company run by a bunch of kids. I thought I left the frat scene in college---little did I know. Let me paint a classic picture. My two colleagues who are actually about 10 years older than me host these office happy hours on various fridays called "Frooty Friday." Yes that is misspelled on purpose to mimic Froot Loops. Each one has somewhat of a different theme: whether that be a going away party due to the high turnover, a push-up contest with our executive director, halloween, etc.) Needless to say, these guys have a office file cabinet drawer full of hard liquor. My mother didn't believe me when I explained this and was quite mortified. When she came in to meet them, they jokingly opened up the drawer and offered to mix her a drink. lol poor Cathy

3) When your clients are two times your age and the most successful finance executives in the world, it's not necessarily a bad thing to just sit there and look pretty. Most of the time you have good things to contribute, but who are we kidding, are you really going to be able to truly "shoot the shit" with a CFO? You can't even be slightly off your game. The one time I was I made a reference to an advertisement I thought was Sealy's (the counting the sheep one)---it was Serta's. Ouch!

4) DC is perhaps the smallest world for a big city I have ever known. It's literally 5 degrees of separation from most of my good friends from college and high school everywhere I go. At this point, it doesn't even shock me anymore--I expect it. I am convinced that every young person is somehow connected to R. Brown or C. Beckett. Instead of the Kevin Bacon game, it should be them.

5) I don't recommend losing your cell phone in downtown Chicago while on a business trip. A chain of events like the following could occur:

-your mother receives a call from a man who says that he found her "baby girl's" cell phone in a "rough area" demanding a reward to get it back
-your mother then calls all your friends worried that you are dead
-When you finally get a new phone, you receive a random call one day from a woman screaming obscenities at you wondering if you are the woman whom "her man" cheated with because he saved the number in the phone


6) The following combination is always a good time: 4 funny roommates, beer, an Ipod playing in the background, and the game "Loaded Questions." Who knew that re-writing the rules to a game where you are really supposed to get to know people and find out their "greatest fears" could be so fun to pervert? The purpose of the game: don't play to win, pick out the question that will get the funniest answers, and answer your question with either bathroom and/or sexual humor. This is also a great game to play at bachelorette parties!! Get your game face on ladies..... :)

7) Any story that deals with Adam's Morgan, Jumbo Slice, etc. is most likely going to be a regrettable experience. However, you can't beat singing karaoke at Peyote Cafe---case in point: kelly clarkson! (said in a yelling voice like when Steve Carrell gets his chest waxed in the 40 Year Old Virgin)

8) You are never too cool for the Discovery Channel. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Your friends and colleagues who look at you weird when you start off a sentence: "I was watching this one episode of the Discovery Channel...," are just jealous. Some of our favorites include: Deadliest Catch, Man vs. Wild, and Shark Week.

9) It's really not a lie that when you graduate from college, that your weeknights are centered around TV. It's great to not have homework anymore, but you realize how monotonous life can become. I am now an addict of a few shows and actually have conversations and dreams about some of the characters. This is slightly disturbing, I realize. Who really are "the others" anyway? These are the questions that keep me up at night. jk

10) You really can begin a meaningful friendship off of a common love for rap lyrics. Case in point: my friend Taylor from work. I think the turning point of our relationship was when she emailed me one day saying "Meredith, I am going as Flavor Flave for Halloween....wanna be one of my bitches?"

To which my reply was, "Taylor, I really appreciate the offer, but no, I don't want to be your bitch." hahha


This is all I can really think of right now. I promise that I actually have learned some really meaningful lessons and grown in different ways beyond just funny experiences here in DC. I just don't want my feelings in an online journal for all to read. Once I am unemployed (which is soon--yessss), maybe I'll put a few more posts on here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

unbelievably insightful wow

3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home